Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day Four- Lessons learned from our horses

In all my years around horses, it has always amazed me how patient and quiet they usually are with children. It's like they know that these little creatures, though loud & silly at times, pose no threat to them and can be trusted more than adults. Blue was no different on Friday afternoon when my little cousins came to visit him for the first time. They had read my blog and knew his story and were very eager to meet the famous Blue. He stood patiently as they pet his nose and debated as to whether his name should in fact be “Maple” or “Fancy Pants”....both suggestions making complete sense to them at the time, though they couldn't quite articulate why these were such good choices for this particular horse.....or any horse for that matter. He stared right into the camera while I took their picture, as if he understood and accepted that a life of visitors and snapshots might be his trade off for lots of hay and a good place to live.
 
 
 
Blue never seems to get worried or impatient about anything and I like that about him. Though he's always pleased when his food arrives at various points throughout the day, he is never demanding about anything......maybe he's grateful and hasn't learned to take things for granted the way the rest of my spoiled herd seems to! This may change when he starts to feel better and finds his personality again or the quiet, patient demeanour may just be his way.....just another detail we will have wait for.

 

He spent more time outside on Friday as it was another beautiful day and attracted the attention of one of one particular chestnut mare in the paddock nearby. She spent quite a while staring at Blue from the fence line before going back to join her herd and though he paid her no obvious attention, I think he noticed her too.
 
 




We worked again on the lunge line in the arena with Barry's coaching and went through our usual grooming routine but this time I threw the lead on the ground in an attempt at a first lesson on ground tying. Blue never moved a step except once to lean in closer to me when I found the 'sweet spot' on his neck where he likes to be scratched. All horses have one....it's just a matter of finding it & you have a friend for life.

 
 

 
 
When I took him out for some hand grazing afterwards, I waited for about three or four minutes while he stood warily, deciding whether it was safe to put his head down to eat. It's fascinating how, as an owner of healthy, happy and confident horses, I take something as simple as hand grazing for granted. It's like anything else I guess.....someone can't take something for granted if they've never had it and Blue hasn't had much. The more time I spend with him, the more I'm convinced that rescue horses like Blue could be an excellent source of learning, therapy and comfort for people who need that type of connection in their lives. These horses are so special and there is so much we can learn from their willingness to trust again, despite the suffering they have been through. I think Blue is the perfect horse to represent what's possible if we're willing to give something a second chance and I admire him for his willingness to be that horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment